ADA Accessibility Information
Accessibility

A
A

A

What Is Tooth Enamel?


Posted on 2/15/2024 by Weo Admin
Bearded white patient checking out his handsome smile in a mirror while sitting in a dental chairTooth enamel is the resilient outer layer of your teeth, safeguarding the more delicate dentin beneath. Its primary function is to shield against harmful acids present in certain foods, preventing what is known as tooth erosion. Regular consumption of acidic items can lead to enamel wear, exposing the inner dentin and potentially causing tooth sensitivity.

What Is Tooth Enamel Made Of?


Tooth enamel comprises approximately 96 percent minerals, primarily calcium and phosphorus, which form sturdy crystallites. The remaining 4 percent is water, and only 1 percent consists of proteins. Unlike other bodily structures, tooth enamel lacks a blood or nerve supply, which makes it unique.

What Can Damage Your Tooth Enamel?


Enamel erosion, a consequence of acidic foods and drinks, poses a significant threat. Various items contribute to enamel wear, from tomatoes to sour candies and sodas to sports drinks. Dental caries, resulting from bacterial acid release during sugar processing, affect around 95 percent of Americans. Additionally, inherited conditions like amelogenesis imperfect can cause enamel malformation.

Preventing Enamel Loss


Good oral hygiene practices are crucial to maintaining healthy enamel and preventing tooth decay. Remember to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste at least twice daily while brushing your teeth.

Floss daily to remove plaque and debris from hard-to-reach areas, and consider using dental mouthwashes with fluoride for added protection. Avoid excessive consumption of sugary foods and drinks, chocolates, and smoking, as they accelerate tooth decay.

Drinking acidic beverages through a straw and staying hydrated with water throughout the day can further reduce the risk of enamel loss. Enamel-strengthening toothpaste and consistent oral care play a pivotal role in maintaining enamel resilience.

Can Enamel Grow Back?


Unlike bones, tooth enamel lacks living cells, rendering it incapable of self-regeneration. Once destroyed, the body can not naturally repair enamel. However, while regeneration is beyond its capability, protecting enamel is feasible.

Protect your smile by taking care of your tooth enamel. Adopt a consistent oral care routine, make informed choices about your diet and lifestyle, and visit our dentist regularly.

Why Choose Us


Dental chair icon Dental chair with directional lamp

You Deserve Our Attention


We offer personal attention for every patient.
Award ribbon icon Simplified sun-shaped award with two short ribbons extending from the bottom

Better Care, Better Life


We improve the lives of our patients.
Clock icon Analog clock face

Your Time Matters To Us


We offer most dental services under one roof.
Copyright © 2023-2024 Canatella Dental and WEO Media (Touchpoint Communications LLC). All rights reserved.  Sitemap
About Us | Canatella Dental | Serving New Orleans, Lakeview, West End, Metairie & Bucktown
Learn about our dedicated team at Canatella Dental and our commitment to your oral health. Discover why we're the preferred choice for dental care in New Orleans.
Canatella Dental, 101 W. Robert E. Lee Blvd, Ste. 305, New Orleans, LA 70124; (504) 269-3486; bestdentistneworleans.com; 4/16/2024; Page Phrases: dentist new orleans;